Updated: Sep 4
How to Choose the Best Location for Your Portrait Session
One of the best parts of hiring a professional photographer who has been doing this whole picture-taking thing for a while is that we have a huge arsenal of incredible session locations for you to choose from. It is sort of like how Joanna Gaines has an entire warehouse of vintage doors and accent pieces, only ours is a digital file of locations (and we get to reuse the same one occasionally).
That said, we totally understand that you want to have a say in choosing your portrait session backdrop. It is your session, after all! To be honest, we are super eager to hear what you have in mind, and we might even have some sweet location ideas to share with you off the top of our head.
6 Ways to Find the Perfect Session Location for Your Portraits
Really, choosing the best location for your portrait session is about figuring out what vibe you are going for and then from there we can brainstorm together to find a spot that’ll make your heart skip a beat. Here are six ways to jump start the process:
· Consider Your Preferred Style: The best portrait sessions capture your existing style. Think of what your favorite outfits are and what sort of style you are drawn to, and then we will come up with complementary session location. For example, if you lean toward bohemian, then an urban landscape may not be your jam.
· Are you Thinking Indoors or Outdoors? Both have their perks, but by narrowing down your choice to either indoor or outdoor we’ll be able to quickly refine the focus.
Below image was taken indoors in front of our bay windows with a sheer curtain to diffuse the light. Isn't it gorgeous!
· Think About Color: Do you want bright and splendid backdrop, or one that is more minimalist? By narrowing down your preferred color story, we can narrow down your session location.
· How Many People Are Being Photographed? This detail matters for a few locations, especially if you decide to go with a small space or an indoor locale. If it is just you or a few people total, then your options are limitless. Large groups, however, require large and open spaces, otherwise things may start to feel crowded or overwhelming during the shoot itself.
· Consider Sentimental Spots: If a location has special meaning to you then it can make your session and images even more personalized. For example, engagement sessions taken at your first-date location, family portraits taken in your forever home, or the ice-cream shop you went to all the time as a kid.
· Look at Some of Your Favorite Images: What sort of portrait images are you drawn to when scrolling through social media or flipping through a magazine? Is it rich, lush greenery? Is it gritty graffiti? Hazy fields? Modern lines? Let this natural inclination inform your session location choice.
Until next time! Ella
Award winning photographer located in the heart of West Georgia, servicing the West Georgia and Metro Atlanta Area.
Federal & Local Business Licensed & Insured Photographer
for Douglasville, Atlanta, Marietta, Carrollton, Villa Rica, Lithia Springs, Smyrna, Roswell, and surrounding areas.
Contact Ella today to schedule your session!
wedding photographer, wedding photography, wedding pictures, wedding photographer, wedding photography, wedding pictures, horses, horse, horse wedding, horse farm wedding, horse farm ceremony, evening wedding ceremony, evening wedding reception, outside ceremony, outside wedding ceremony, modern wedding, modern, modern wedding details, rustic wedding, rustic details, rustic decor, rustic wedding details, rustic bouquet, vintage wedding, vintage wedding inspiration, vintage wedding decor, chic wedding, chic wedding decorations, chic wedding decor, chic wedding dress, chic wedding bouquet, urban wedding, urban wedding decor, urban wedding details, urban wedding decorations, urban wedding dress, urban bridesmaids dress, urban bouquet, urban tux, urban wedding suit, urban wedding venue, urban wedding venue in atlanta georgia, unique wedding, unique wedding decor, unique wedding decorations, boho wedding, boho wedding style, boho wedding dress, boho dress, boho bridesmaids, boho bridesmaids dress, boho bouquet, boho wedding bouquet, boho bridal bouquet, boho shoes, boho hair, boho cake, boho venue, boho flowers, boho floral arrangement, boho wedding ceremony, boho wedding reception, boho wedding photos, professional wedding photographer, professional wedding photography, affordable, affordable photography, affordable wedding photographer, bride, groom, love, cute, romantic, sweet, babies breath, ivory, cream, white, pink, orange, succulents, greenery, gold, silver, dreamy, fun, exciting, happy, wedding, married, marriage, couple, husband and wife, husband, wife, love, wed, wedding day, getting ready, ceremony, first look, formal photos, portraits, reception, cake cutting, grand exit, departure, evening ceremony, evening wedding, outdoor wedding, outside wedding, outdoor wedding photos, outside wedding photos, wedding in the rain, rainy wedding day, rainy wedding photos, wedding photos in the rain, rainy wedding,
engagement photography douglasville, engagement photos douglasville, engagement photographer atlanta, engagement photography atlanta, engagement photos atlanta,
family photography, family photographer, family photos, family photo, family, photography, photographer, family photographer douglasville, family photography douglasville, family photos douglasville, family photographer atlanta, family photography atlanta, family photos atlanta, photography atlanta, photographer atlanta, georgia photographer, georgia photography, children photography, children photographer, baby photography georgia, baby photographer georgia, mom, dad, mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister, sibling, siblings, kids, child, children, nature, nature photography, nature photographer, outside, outdoor, natural light, golden hour, sunrise, sunset, lithia springs, lithia springs photography, lithia springs photographer, lithia springs georgia, villa rica, villa rica photography, villa rica photographer, villa rica georgia, carrollton, carrollton photography, carrollton photographer, carrollton georgia, newnan, newnan photographer, newnan photography, newnan georgia, marietta, marietta photography, marietta photographer, marietta georgia, dallas, dallas photography, dallas photographer, dallas georgia, hiram, hiram photography, hiram photographer, hiram georgia, bremen, bremen photography, bremen photographer, bremen georgia, whitesburg, whitesburg photography, whitesburg photographer, whitesburg georgia, winston, winston photography, winston photographer, winston georgia, chattahoochee hills, chattahoochee hills photography, chattahoochee hills photographer, chattahoochee hills georgia, palmetto, palmetto photography, palmetto photographer, palmetto georgia, kennesaw, kennesaw photography, kennesaw photographer, kennesaw georgia, smyrna, smyrna photography, smyrna photographer, smyrna georgia, powder springs, powder springs photography, powder springs photographer, powder springs georgia, sandy springs, sandy springs photography, sandy springs photographer, sandy springs georgia, acworth, acworth photography, acworth photographer, acworth georgia, roswell, roswell photography, roswell photographer, roswell georgia, temple, temple photography, temple photographer, temple georgia, ella hall photography, tamela hall, forever love studios georgia, forever love studio photography georgia